Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Books Among Teens

Books Among Teens
By Diego Munoz and Emmanuel Delgado
Teens at all age should at least read 30 minutes a day to perform better academically and discover what makes a good author.
Books are important to school and education. A student is required to read at least 30 minutes a day to become proficient in English. Some good writer and their books have left their mark on some students.
Cesar Munoz a sophomore at South East High School said, “My favorite author is Wilson Rawls. I have been fascinated by his writing techniques. Where The Red Fern Grows is a book I read and I was fascinated by his writing style.”
In most English classes teachers assign students to read a book and make summaries. Books were created for school use and sometimes to get informed about famous people, without books education wouldn’t be as fun. Munoz said, “I don’t like to read books, but when it comes to education they do make up a big role.” When a student reads more it should be easier for them to perform better on any test.
Reading can give students great advantages, including scoring proficient in the CST (California Standardized Test). Yesenia Martinez a soft more at SEHS, said, “Reading helps a lot in the English section of the CST.” On the CST there is an English section and there are some words that many people have problems understanding. Several books may have the words that come out in the CST. Martinez said, “I see many people struggle with the English part of the CST. Students should read more books if they want to score better in the CST. Students should read more books if they want to score better in the CST.”
Reading is important in order to stay at the appropriate reading grade level. In English class reading is what the teacher recommend for student to do better in class. Martinez said, “It is important for students to practice reading not only is it fun, but makes you smarter.”
Teachers recommend reading every day for thirty minutes. “Reading every day is possible, it maybe doesn’t have to be books anything to read is fine.” Martinez said. In many English classes teachers assign books to students to read on their own time and it becomes the reader’s responsibility.
Many students read books because they just love it. Evangelica Juarez, a junior at SEHS, said, “I read about 7 books per year. I like reading when I have spare time.” Many teachers encourage students to read books to improve vocabulary. Juarez said, “I think reading books helps me a lot because I perform better on my vocabulary [tests].”
Many authors write for teens. Juarez said, “My favorite author is Edgar Allen Poe because the way he writes is very unique. I like his stories and poems.”Among teens there is always a book that is read the most. Munoz said, “[Among] students in [our] school I hear that people seem to like Twighlight by Stephenie Meyer.” Some people do read books over and over .Martinez said, “I have read To Kill A Mocking Bird by Harper Lee more than 3 times and I think it is still fascinating.”
For some people books will always be the step to success academically. Juarez said, “For me there is no doubt that books will be the step for the next generation to succeed.” In other hand Martinez said, “Books are sometimes helpful but I think the internet is going to be the next big thing for students to succeed.”

No comments:

Post a Comment